Friday, May 8, 2009

Amish town and Philadelphia

I took a road-trip to Lancaster, Pennsylvania where the Amish have a compound of sorts. It was an interesting cultural experience to be exposed to the rituals, religiosity and customs of the Amish and Mennonites. 

They mainly use propane fueled devices for lighting and such. Many of the descendants who still live within the community practice and preserve their customs. They are a private sect and discourage many of the the modern world inventions and innovations.

I saw horse drawn buggies, old style breweries, flower mills and so on. I visualized as to how it was all those years back when the Amish was founded in Switzerland.

On the way back to New York, I stopped in Philadelphia for a bite to eat and meander about in the city where the declaration of independence was signed. 


No comments:

Search This Blog

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Followers