Sunday, May 31, 2009

From Mayfest to sand Junes

June 2009 approaches like the French TGV speed rail in full flight. May has had its moments, incidents, and joyous times. Manchester United were able to win the premiership for the third successive time in as many years, but failed in their attempt to secure back to back European Champions League glory. As it has been said before, ‘the best team on the park that day were the deserving winners’.

Life and the weather in New York is warming up and the crowds are swarming in all the glorious and green parks that the great city has to offer. The winter hibernation syndrome has seemed to have passed and the unseen and concealed individuals of the weather-beaten winter magically reappear. The summery atmosphere apparently works wonders, as quasi depressants and borderline insanity patients find that in summer there is more to life.

I trekked north of the border to Toronto, Canada for the Jewish festival of Shavuot. I thank my brother and his family for their hospitality. I had not been to Canada (besides the time I ventured in for a quick few hours in 2006 for a wedding) since I had studied in Montreal, Quebec in 2002. I still cannot proclaim that I do in fact speak French. I will not be undertaking any French lessons for that matter. What I can reveal is, that I do intend on picking up some guitar lessons and a guitar as I make some sort of effort in gaining rock star status.

Canada is a beautiful place, (I know this statement is of arguable substance). As a part of the commonwealth it gives me great pleasure to once again see the sites and visit the country that is known for great Ice hockey teams and mediocre beer. Culturally, Canada can be likened to Australia in many ways, aspects and shared customs. Yes the Queen features on our money, yes we spell the word ‘colour’ the same way and yes we are both jealous of our neighbours (Australia is very envious of the New Zealand Haka). The many comparisons can be made, adduced and analysed, but at the end of the day ‘I still call Australia home’.

The world is still in a state of chaos and one can thank the media for that too. Obama continues to make changes, but that was predictable. North Korea tests its nuclear capacity whilst Israel tests its tenacity. Swine flu had some of the worlds’ attention, whilst the US dollar lost its bout on the international market. Automobiles are still being bought, but who knows how long it will be before the world reverts to the horse drawn coach and buggy (the Amish have the right idea).

We live in hope that these upcoming summer months (for all the northern hemisphere populace) can bring much serenity, safety and sanity to a rather nonsensical world. So instead of throwing hand grenades, throw a Frisbee or boomerang at your local beach or park. Instead of playing war games, play scrabble and bananagrams.

Pray one, pray all that the world remains protected from those barbaric individuals who attempt to cause havoc and destruction and that everyone has the best summer of their lives.

Bon Voyage to those who have travel plans for Cuba, Portugal and Sweden. good luck to my friends who have relocated to their various new posts around the world. May you go in peace and return in one piece.

Peace and party.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Followers