Monday, April 27, 2009

April and Passover with the Sabra

As I write, Israel is gearing up for its 61st anniversary as a sovereign state. Indeed Israel is in a league of its with their self made rules, that go hand in hand with their self made help. I congratulate the country on reaching another milestone in their existence and live in hope that the holy land stays intact and safe from all harm.

I was fortunate enough to spend the festival of Passover in Israel. I thank my sister and her family for all the festive related activities and more. I truly had a fabulous time, some spent with the family, some at the various beaches up and down the Israeli coast and some in a mix of drinking spots scattered about this majestic country. 

I was able to link up with old friends (not all) and I made new friends along the way. I ventured out to the markets and bazaars of Jerusalem, Tel- Aviv and Jaffa. I travelled the highways (this is what ACDC mean in their hit ‘Highway to Hell’) from Jerusalem to Zichron Yaakov, Tel Aviv to Hertzaliya and some more. I saw the beauty of a country, so green and rich in colour, yet with grey clouds of uncertainty hovering above. I once again witnessed Israeli beach culture in Tel Aviv. I saw the young and old play paddleball, the tanned man walking about yelling (selling) ‘Artik’ (iced beverages of some sort). It really has to be seen to be believed, or maybe not. I was introduced to the small yuppie suburb Neve Tzedek in Tel Aviv. It is a gorgeous little neighbourhood with cafes, boutique shopping and art galleries. I drank beer and bantered with friends on Ben Yehuda St close to the Tel Aviv port. I lunched with Sigmund’s, a small cafĂ©/kiosk in Rechavia Jerusalem. Last but not least, I meandered about in the streets of Jerusalem, both in the new and old city. I prayed at the Western Wall for the Western World.

Israel is unique, not only due to its holiness and rich history but also because of its citizens and their habits and mannerisms. The Sabra (one born in Israel) is apparently called this due to their rough exterior yet sweet interior. Seldom did I see the latter. They create new meanings to various norms of human culture and nature. In fact, they have created their own ‘constitution’ of life, without creating one. In short, Israelis are loved and hated, admired and despised. Israel is on the forefront of many of the latest technological advances of the modern world; they keep up with the latest inventions and modern technology that the world has to offer. However its taste of fashion needs a substantial overhaul.

There are no words - you have just got to love it.

That is just some of my trip, a truly exhilarating, fantastic and wonderful adventure. 

There is more to be told, but I’ll let the mind wander, wonder and imagine.

I leave off with wishing and congratulating Israel on 61 years and more. I remember the lost and fallen soldiers who fought for their country to make dreams come true. I pray for its future welfare.

Visit Israel and show your support. Wish Israel happy anniversary and confirm its existence. Pray for Israel and preserve its survival.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Followers