Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Springing into May

Spring has arrived in the northern hemisphere, as we are about to enter the month of May. April and its happenings, its stories and adventures is a part of history. I was in Israel for most of April, where I spent Passover with my siblings Laya, her family and my sister Chaya in Jerusalem. I thank them and my cousin Daniel for their generous hospitality. I had an incredible and meaningful festival and the memories and moments shared will remain with me forever.  

Israel is an astonishing place. It has created a modern and technologically advanced society and communities in its short yet vibrant existence. It is still growing and evolving in its tiny geographic area in the Middle East whilst it simultaneously defends itself from its oppressors. I was fortunate enough to attend the blessing of the sun at the Western Wall in Jerusalem – a once in 28-year ritual. Being amongst 50 odd (yes odd and 50,000) thousand people and heralding in the new cycle was simply extraordinary. Additionally, being pushed and shoved and metaphorically ‘riding the spiritual waves’ amongst the Israelis in the crowd is definitely something memorable and is a souvenir I can always reminisce upon. Passover was holy and ritualistic, but it always is. Only this year the added holiness and different customs of Passover in Israel was apparent and genuine. As it says, may we next year be In Jerusalem (please drink to that).

From one adventure to the next I proceed and back to New York for the spring into summer. The season where less is worn and this is not only due to the economic crisis. It is a time where the sun shines on those longer summer days. The heat intensifies in the humidity of the New York atmosphere. It would be apt, that in the summer, when the weather is brighter the global fiscal economic mess could rebound, recover and like the boomerang, return.

Time will tell.

April has been an interesting month, as Obama progresses to 100 days in office. Some say, that is the only progression that he has made. Passover celebrates the freedom of the Israelites from bondage in Egypt. Captain Richard Phillips of the Shipping Vessel ‘Maersk Alabama’ also had reason to be thankful as he was freed from captivity at the hands of modern day Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean. And the piracy continues as captains declare Mayday.

So after minding the gap in London, even after a few beers I am back in New York. Temperatures are rising as is unemployment, but an optimist I’ll remain.

I thought I would share some brief reflections on my living abroad. I have been blessed with having the opportunity to hop around different communities and environments to watch and observe as to how things unfold elsewhere.  One must not only know their ‘local’ but is important to branch out and have a taste of the ‘others’. So keep on exploring your outer and inner, spread outwards but remember what is inwards but keep your privacy by regulating your publicity.

 I wish you a happy spring, summer; autumn (fall) or winter wherever you may be and may we only hear good tidings and dream sweetly into the next chapter.

No comments:

Search This Blog

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Followers